BREAKING FREE FROM SHAME
Christelle Baldovinos | Spiritual Growth
Shame is an instrument of the devil that fans the flame of the memories from our past, to weigh us down. As we determine to hold on to memories that lead to sorrow, the result is the sabotage of restoration in our life and the fulfillment of our destiny.
NOT WHO WE ARE
I know for me personally at times when I have sinned it is difficult to separate that sin from who I am. Do not let shame convince you that an act of sin is who you are.In Prov. 23:7 it says, “As a man thinks in his heart so is he”. What you think about yourself is what you become. Let God speak to you the truth about who you are and allow that be what defines you.
“Conviction says this is what I have done, shame says this is who you are. Conviction leads to repentance, which leads to restoration, shame leads to destruction”.
Shame hinders us from being able to enjoy Gods love. But Conviction is from God and can lead to a great future if we let it. God meant for us to have godly sorrow that leads to repentance. This is for our own Good so we can be close to Him and set our life on the right course.
God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance…(Rom. 2:4)
STEPS TO BREAK FREE FROM SHAME
- Take Responsibility: When we confess our sin God forgives, forgets and cleanses, but WE have to accept his forgiveness and see ourselves as He does PURE, WASHED AND FREE. Healing begins when things are brought to the light. God brings His loving conviction so the wounds come to the surface and can be healed.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- Surrender Fear: Consider how things in your life such as divorce, rape, pornography, lust, drug addiction or mental illness have caused you to be afraid and to go even further into bad decision-making. Be honest with God about how these things have scared you and make you feel unworthy. Then surrender these situations to God realizing that He is able to redeem your past when you let it go to Him and rely on His power.
- Renounce Everything in Your Life that Doesn’t Please God: Instead of just feeling sorry for something you know doesn’t please God, go further. Determine you will have nothing to do with previous behavior ever again, for any reason. Do not allow yourself to be deceived. Keep yourself full of the Word of God and ask the Holy Spirit to fill you daily and submit yourself to His direction on a day-by-day basis. Beware of yourself twisting scripture to make excuses for certain behaviors. Verbally renounce the besetting (sins continued in) sins in your life and when they try to re-surface in your life forbid them from entering your life and polluting you.
- Renew Your Commitment to Jesus: Express with your lips your commitment to Jesus and your belief in the power of the cross. Be aware that you have an enemy; Satan, who prowls like a lion looking to devour you. He wants to bring you back into the grips of shame. Resist him and draw near to Lord and pursue Him with your whole heart.
- Receive God’s Forgiveness: When we learn what the Bible says about the forgiveness of God for us we can truly repent; take a hold of His free gift of forgiveness and rest. Once we sincerely repent, we simply receive Gods forgiveness. We need to let go of what we have done – forgive ourselves. We are not second-class citizen’s we are immediately in right standing with God. There is no purgatory. By one sacrifice Christ has taken on the whole guilt of humanity.
“So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (John 8:36)